This topic contains 1 voice and has 0 replies.
1 voice
0 replies
  • Author
      Mason Carter
      Participant

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share some things that have really been helping me stay on track with my sobriety, especially living in the hustle and bustle of NYC.

Finding friends who are on a similar journey has made a world of difference. And join clubs or groups that share your interests without the booze, other interests and hobbies. I although I’m 56, I’ve started karate lessons and met some great new friends. That is two nights a week and every second Friday, we go out for a meal – hardly any of the drink so having coke is no problem.

NYC has so much more to offer than just bars. From hiking out of town to checking out museums or just grabbing coffee with one of my karate class, there are endless options that don’t involve alcohol.

Sometimes, staying in is the best choice. Making your home a safe and comfortable space, free from the temptation of alcohol, has been a lifesaver for me.

It’s important to know your limits. Politely turning down invites and using the excuse of being busy has helped me stay true to my goals. If it’s a friend notorious for drinking ignore the phone and SMS the next day to tell them you were busy. New girlfriend is an excuse I use all the time – I find they leave me alone then.

Remember, we’re all on our unique journey, and these are just things that have been working for me. Would love to hear your thoughts and any tips you might have!

Stay strong.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Scroll to top